Hybrid Gaming Alliance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hybrid Gaming Alliance

From the midst of broken games comes the allaince to out stand all others no matter weither its RPG, FPS, RTS or even RG come and unite here and become a Hybrid Gamer

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

My eassy About catcher in the Rye

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Eternal
Backround Checks
Backround Checks
Eternal

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2008-05-28

My eassy About catcher in the Rye Empty
PostSubject: My eassy About catcher in the Rye   My eassy About catcher in the Rye Icon_minitimeSat Jan 10, 2009 12:35 pm

Catcher in the Rye

Catcher in the Rye is a book by JD Salinger. The main character is Holden Caulfield. He is a strange boy who is failing at his numerous Schools. He heads to New York before he heads home to face his parents.

The first page begins with Holden immediately being negative “If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you’ll properly want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like.” This quote shows us that Holden thinks his childhood wasn’t good. He also describes his Father as “Touchy” This seems to imply that his father may have been strict towards his son. This negativity continues through out the book until the dying chapters.

Holden starts telling the reader the story of how he Left his school “Pencey Prep” Holden always seems to deviate off course when he tells stories adding irrelevant additional information which is commented on later on in the book. Holden begins by meeting his old history teacher who is ill, During this meeting we see that Holden likes to lie “I’m the most terrific liar you ever saw” He completely contradicts himself. He states “ I left Elkton high because I was surrounded by phonies” Since Holden does not tell the truth, he himself is phoney.

Holden appears to be Mad, When he arrives in New York He harasses taxi drivers with obnoxious questions, and when he is in the elevator to his room, he is offered to spend the night with a prostitute. For some reason he agrees and when she comes to see him he refuses and just wants to talk to her. This shows his innocence he feels pity for the prostitute. Evidence suggests that he is crazy, When the prostitute leaves she gets the pimp to rob Holden. Holden tries to defend himself but he ends up getting punched and robbed. Holden even calls himself crazy at times. “But I'm crazy I swear to God I am. About halfway to the bathroom, I started pretending I had a bullet in my guts. Old Maurice had plugged me. Now I was on the way to the bathroom to get a good shot of bourbon. I pictured myself with my automatic in my pocket, and staggering a little bit. I'd walk down a couple of floors-holding on to my guts, blood leaking all over the place. As soon as old Maurice opened the doors he'd start screaming at me. But I'd plug him anyway”. This quote was directly after Holden was punched he doesn’t want to come to terms with what has just happened.

Holden appears to be Immature and missing the guidance of his parents. We see this early on in the novel when he is having fun with Ackley “ Mother darling, give me your hand. Why won't you give me your hand?” He dislikes being isolated, although he doesn’t say so, you can tell by the way he talks about his little sister and home life. Perhaps this is the reason why he can’t settle down in boarding school.

When Holden heads home nearly everything Holden thinks its about his sister. He refers to her nearly every time as “ Old Phoebe” Giving the reader the impression that she might be more mature than Holden even as a little girl.

Holden swears a lot, Whether its blasphemous or just swearing. His sister even tells him to stop swearing so much , Page 155. He gets very annoyed when he saw that in Phoebes school someone had wrote “ Fuck you” On the wall. “Somebody’d written “Fuck you” on the wall. It drove me damn near crazy. I thought how Phoebe and all the other little kids would see it, and how they’d wonder what the hell it meant and then finally some dirty kid would tell them - All cockeyed, Naturally - What it meant and how they’d all think about it and maybe even worry about it for a couple of days. I kept wanting to kill whoever’d written it.”

Holden gives the reader an insight to what he wants to do in this world. Not realising until now Holden wants to save people. How he refused the prostitute and how he made the woman on the trains son seem like a nice person the quote.

“I keep picturing all these little kids playing some game in this big field of rye and all. Thousands of little kids, and nobody’s around, nobody big, I mean - except me. And I’m standing on the edge of some of some crazy cliff. What I have to do, I have to catch everybody if they start to go off the cliff - mean if they’re running and they don’t look where they’re going I have to come out and catch them all.”

This is the most influential quote in regard to Holden as a person. The cliff could be a fall into a bad state off life, Prostitution, drugs, drink and Holden wants to save everyone from that. His sister doe’s not understand him but it seems to bring peace to his mind thinking about it.

Holden progress’s immensely as a character from the start to the end, From when he is horsing around with Ackley and being the fool and becoming what he see’s in his eyes is The Catcher In The Rye. The book ends with Holden watching his little sister on the merry go round and Holden finally seems to be happy.
Back to top Go down

My eassy About catcher in the Rye
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hybrid Gaming Alliance :: Public :: General Chat-
Jump to: